Jennifer
I just got saw this article.
It's about a Drunk Driver that pleaded guilty and got a sentence of 10 1/2 years today. I am a bit upset.
You see.. about 16 years ago.. my sister was killed by a drunk driver, but not just her.. in the same accident.. my sister's best friend was killed and another friend that happened to be in the car on that Christmas night.. that seems so long ago now.
I remember when the killer of my sister, received a 10 year sentence for manslaughter. I remember also when a year later, she was released... the State felt that she had received enough punishment.
I was furious. There should be more punishment... I thought.
I can feel for the family of his woman that was killed. On the other hand.. I can see the devastation that is going to happen to the family of the man going to prison. No, he doesn't sound like a threat to society, he made one mistake.
I remember telling the prosecutor in the case of my sister's death something that he used in the trial... I said
"We call it a mistake, but I guess you could call it a mistake if you got drunk and got a gun and started shooting into a crowd, you are doing the same thing when you get behind the wheel of a car drunk"
It's a terrible mistake that ended in the death of someone else.
Don't Drink and Drive..
In this article the husband of the dead victim says "If my wife was here right now, she would show you forgiveness. She would show you love. She would put her arms around you. She was that kind of person."
It's hard for the people that are left behind to be as forgiving of a mistake in judgment.
I don't think that I can forgive the woman that killed my sister, but I could probably say the same thing about my sister.. she would have been able to forgive, it was the way she was.
I don't think about my sister that much anymore.. I have a picture of her in my house. My boys never met her. She had a huge impact on my life.. she taught me so many things.. so many things that I should remember right now... I really believe that Everything happens for a reason
There is even a reason for me to read that article... I am reminded of my sister and the way she lived her 19 years here in this life... how she lived such a full life and how she didn't take crap from anyone.. but also how she loved everyone.. how good she was.. how kind, forgiving but also.. she struggled, just like all of us do.. but she loved herself... and she loved others.
I wonder sometimes.. what she would be doing if she was here today.. but I know she would have travelled the world by now. She would kick my butt out of my seat now and then to do something about my concerns.. she wouldn't let me wallow in troubles.. she would say... "do something about it Chris... don't tell me about that again!!"
Her name is Jennifer.. my sister.. she gave me a piece of her soul when she left.. the part that keeps me going when things have gotten rough.
Hey Jennifer.. I love you.. and I miss you.. I wish you could meet my boys.. I wish you could meet my fiancee... I wish.. you were here.. but I know you are in a better place and I know.. that you would be so mad at me for missing you.. for not rejoicing in the fact that you are in heaven.. that you are fine.
so.. I will celebrate this weekend... no.. I won't go to the cemetary to see Jennifer.. she would really hate that.. she would want me to go there and play song on the harmonica or the clarinet.. even though I don't know how to play either one.. she would want me to dance on her grave and enjoy life.
Ok.....
Thank you... Jennifer... thank you...
Mar 7, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment