It's a small world
Yesterday, I called one of my students.. but didn't look to see where she was from until after she answered the phone. I have been working with a lot of international students lately and I got lucky that it was already 8:30am in Saipan.. rather than the middle of the night. Well, we started talking and I told her that I actually knew someone in Saipan.. she is the best friend of my fiancée.. she has been her best friend/female soulmate since they were young and the talk all the time. So I mentioned her name and my student said..."I think I know her father, he owns a large construction company here and I am an engineer that works on projects with him" Whoa... I mean... of all the people that would have been given this lead.. this student.. and then.. to call CHINA.. and to mention the one person that I even know in the entire place... to have the person on the other side of the phone know her father and maybe have met her when she went to the office. That is freaking amazing.
I also spoke to a student in Dubai this morning and I had to go to another website to find the country code to call him (it was 6pm in Dubai this morning) and on that website I found this.
Anti War Protests Turn Fierce
I really don't want to talk to much about the war... but I do think that Fierce protests against war are very strange.. it's like... people bombing abortion clinics because they are against abortion.
My personal opinion is that people have the right to protest and to voice their opinion but I am upset when I see Americans in New York City and San Francisco burning the flag. Sure, they have the right to do that.. but the flag is a symbol of the very freedom that gives them that right. It is a symbol of freedom and democracy. The flag symbolizes our beliefs in freedom and one of those freedoms is the freedom of speech. Again, it seems oxymoronic to burn the flag at a peace rally. Can you imagine a peace rally in Iraq? Ok.. enough about that.. I don't want to raise my blood pressure. Of course, they do it because it gains attention, and some people just want attention. I think that they should be waving the flag high and celebrate their freedom of speech in the United States. That's all :)
Mar 27, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment